Grilled Spicy Trumpet Royale™
- 8 oz. Trumpet Royale™ Mushrooms
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1-1 1/2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
Smaller mushrooms may be left whole, cut larger ones in half. Combine all ingredients except mushrooms and whisk. Add mushrooms and toss to coat. Grill on hot grill, turning once, until brown grill marks show. May also be oven-roasted for five minutes at 450°. Side dish for two or three or garnish for six or more servings.
Garam Masala is a traditional blend of Indian seasonings that is typically sweeter and not as hot as curry. Unlike curry it contains no yellow turmeric or hot chili, but it packs a wallop with cardamom, coriander, cumin, and other spices. It can be found in any market specializing in Indian or Asian items as well as most gourmet and health stores. It is so special that it is worth seeking out. (You'll find it a delicious addition to any squash also.) If unavailable, use chili powder, curry or mix ¼ teaspoon each of cinnamon and black pepper.
Alba Clamshell™ Mushrooms Calamari Style
- 1 quart lightly salted boiling water
- 3 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups (about 1/2 pound) Clamshell Alba™ mushrooms
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup red bell pepper, diced finely
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaf, or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 cup red onion, diced
- salt and pepper to taste
Vegetarian calamari? What will they think of next? The pearly white color and mild shellfish character of the Alba Clamshell suggested this recipe.
Blanch mushrooms in salted water for three minutes. Drain, shake off excess water and set aside. Heat the olive oil in a broad skillet over medium flame, sauté the garlic, mushrooms and red bell pepper for three or four minutes. While still warm add the lemon juice, thyme and red onion. Season to taste with salt and pepper. May be served warm or cold as an appetizer or on top of grilled fish.
specialty Mushroom Pâté
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 8 oz. Trumpet Royale, Brown Clamshell, Forest Nameko, and or Velvet Pioppini mushrooms chopped roughly
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped garlic
- 2 Tablespoons minced shallot
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaf
- 1/4 cup dry sherry, madeira or port wine
- a generous pinch each nutmeg, allspice and cayenne
- 1/2 cup lightly toasted, preferably unsalted, almonds or cashews
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons finely minced Italian parsley
Heat the butter in a large sauté pan over moderate heat. Add the shallots, garlic, mushroom and thyme. Cook four minutes. Add nutmeg, allspice. cayenne and wine. Simmer until liquid is almost evaporated.
Transfer to a food processor along with the nuts and pulse until smooth. Finish with salt and pepper to taste and fresh parsley. Pack into a bowl or ramekin to chill. Serve as a spread with bread, crackers.
See left-hand panel for more
Forager Press is also a wonderful source of recipes. Visit them at The